Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Would God Really Use Me?


By all “worldly” accounts, I am a loser with a big ole capital “L”. I do not possess a college education nor am I looked to as a leader of anything in today’s society by today’s definitions. Essentially, because of my lack of education, and I assume other unknown reasons, I am often times overlooked. So the burning questions remain, what can I do to make a meaningful difference? Is my intelligence defined by what degree hangs on my wall or how far or how fast I can advance in the rat race of life? I may be a Loser by all worldly regards, but does it really matter to the One who is in control?

Lets examine a few “Losers” in the Bible.

1. Noah: Genesis 6:7 through Chapter 10 talks about Noah. Here this guy is building an Ark when it has never rained on Earth. Everyone probably thought he was crazy. Noah saved the human race and all the animals in the world at that time. How lucky for Noah and his family that he found grace in God’s eyes. The Bible says “and Noah walked with God.” Gen. 6:9.

2. Abraham: The story of Abraham begins in Gen. 12. It shows how God made a covenant with him to make a great nation. Abraham enjoyed such a relationship with God that God came down and talked with him in the form of a man.

3. Moses: The Book of Exodus tells the story of Moses. From the rich house to the poor house. Moses was the adopted son of a princess of Egypt. He went from the King’s table to the scrap table in one day by killing an Egyptian who was beating an Israelite. He came back to Egypt as a servant of God and because he was willing, God used him to free the children of Israel.

4. King David: From scrawny shepherd boy to hero of a nation. 1 Sam. 16:6 begins the story of David. David accomplished many things in his life as well as messed some things up. He was faithful, dependant and willing and that is when David shined the most.

1 Sam. 16:7 But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as a man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.

5. Mary (mother of Jesus): She was an unwed, pregnant woman. Talk about stigma to overcome. From the worldly view, she was pretty bad off. So bad off, Joseph her espoused husband was going to try to get out of the marriage. Mary said that she would be revered by all the world and indeed she is to this very day.

So would God really use a Loser like me? The answer is a resounding yes. He can use me and He can use you. It may not be something that you or I see as earth shattering at the moment we are being used (Does anyone really see their impact?) but at least He can use me and you never know what He has in mind for me or for you for that matter. All it really takes is a willing heart to be shoved out of that comfort zone. God provides the tools for the person to use in what they are to do. For instance, Noah was provided with the knowledge to build the ark. I’m sure the materials showed up as well. He also gathered the animals. How did he do that? Moses was given Aaron to speak for him as well as a staff. There are so many instances in the Bible that seem impossible for this person to have accomplished and yet they did it and it was all possible through God.

Philippians 4:13 (King James Version)
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

1 comment:

emily said...

Awesome power of God...